Sunday, October 7, 2012

Science Rules!

                                

Dear Friends,
       If you look up “science” in the dictionary, it says the following: “Science is a continuing effort to discover and increase human knowledge and understanding through research. Scientists collect observable evidence, record measurable data relating to the observations, and analyze this information to explain how things work. The methods of scientific research include a hypothesis (guess) of how things work and experimentation that test these hypotheses.” I hope this year, you become inspired to ask your own questions, come up with your own hypothesis of how things work, and create your own experimentations to prove or disprove your ideas. You all have intelligent and curios minds and through innovative thinking, you can change the world! Think BIG! Tell me, what does science mean to you? What questions do you have? Maybe you are curious about biology: the study of the body and how it works,or maybe seismology: the study of earthquakes or seismic waves, or maybe physics: the study of matter and energy...the list goes on and on! What interests you? Please respond in our new “friendly Letter” format! Room #22 ROCKS!  
                                                                Warmly,
                                                                Mrs. Yates



8 comments:

  1. Dear Friends,

    I am interested in seismology science, the study of earthquakes or seismic waves. I think it would be cool to be that kind of scientist because I really like computers and I would build a machine underground that would predict when an earthquake was going to happen. It would send a message to my computer that I would post on my app to alert people. My dad has an app on his phone that alerts him when an earthquake has happened. I wonder how scientists find out that an earthquake happened and how severe. It would be cool to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Friends,

    I am interested in the science of oceanography. I would like to learn more about the ocean, tidal waves and, tsunamis because they are very big and powerful. It amazes me how big these waves can be and I would like to know where they come from. I would like to understand how they can hurt big ships. I would like to invent a machine that tells us when they are coming so we can warn all the boats and people. There is a movie called "The Poseidon" where a tsunami hits the boat and tips it over and it goes upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Jonathan Bowen:

    Dear Friends,

    Science to me, means learning about the world and everything that lives on it. I really like science, science lets you see things that you can't normally see with your eyes and lets you understand things you wouldn't already know. I am interested in zoology, geology, and microbiology. I would like to learn about zoology because I really like going to the zoo and learning about the animals that live there. I am the class zookeeper and I love animals. My favorite animals are snakes and Auzzie. I would like to learn more about reptiles, so I can take better care of Auzzie. I would also like to learn about the way snakes behave, so I can be more comfortable holding them. After that, I would like to learn about geology because I like collecting rocks, and I'd like to learn about the ones I find on the playground. Oh yeah, I forgot.. I like cheetahs too, because they are really fast and blend in, because they live in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Archaeologist is a study of human in the past.they recover things left behind. they dig in the sand and find dinosaurs bones. They put the bones together and other things, because of them we can see them at the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am astonished at how curious you all are about the world and why things happen. Curiosity is what drives innovation. Dream BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Friends,

    I am interested in science! It is important to me because you can discover many new things. I am interested in the study of weather, which is called meteorology. I would like to learn more about thunder storms, hail, clouds, rain, tornadoes, and hurricanes. Weather is interesting to me because it is all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mrs. Yates,
    Tomorrow I am going to put water into a cup and then into my freezer. I've already done this before. But I want to show you this exciting experament. I will bring it into school and show you what it looks like. Science has a lot of meanings to me. But my favorite part about science is making a hypothesis. My hypothesis about putting a cup of water into the freezer was that it would turn into ice which it did! If I were a scientist which I am not, I would like to study plants because I love flowers and I am always picking them.

    Love your student,
    Mia Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete